February is Pet Oral Healthcare Month and we here at DogTime have some great tips on how to take care of your pup’s pearly whites. Taking care of your dog’s mouth is important not just to fight uninviting breath, but also because dental diseases can be associated with other health issues, such as sinus infections, diabetes, cancer,
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) Business goes to the dogs as workplaces across the country celebrate the annual Take Your Dog to Work Day. The temporary office canines won’t be barking out orders to employees or wagging approval after a presentation, although some might be helping the receptionist greet visitors. The day is an opportunity to
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) Fetch is a great form of both mental and physical exercise. When structured properly, it’s also a terrific way to practice impulse control and consistent obedience. Structured inappropriately, it can turn into a fun game (for your dog, that is) of keep away! Follow these steps to develop a fantastic fetcher!
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) Just as the saying “a chip off the old block” often holds true for humans, it can apply to dogs as well. Puppies that are well-socialized are more likely to come from dogs that are well-socialized. A basic part of a pup’s socialization is based on their mother’s attitude–relaxed or skittish–toward
Amy Schumer, who’s been destroying it on Comedy Central this year with her show Inside Amy Schumer, finally turned her satirical death ray on dog parents. We were scared. There is so much to mock. Sweaters. Little dogs in handbags. Raw food diets. A website devoted entirely to dogs. Amy, however, didn’t go for the
It is never boring with our furry besties! They just don’t fail to make our day mor entertaining 😀 Hope you like our compilation, please share it and SUBSCRIBE!
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) It’s that time of year again for fireworks, backyard barbecues, and Americana clothing emblazoned with red, white, and blue. Yes, the 4th of July holiday looms, as does the possibility your pet will suffer stress, trauma, or illness associated with the festivities. How can your pet catch a break and stay
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) You can tell a lot about your dog by taking a good look at her skin. Clear and clean skin is a good indication your dog is pretty healthy. Signs Of Healthy Skin Here’s what healthy dog skin looks like: Color is consistent and it springs back when touched. No scales,
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) You’ve probably seen dogs out for a happy, safe morning jog with their owners, eagerly keeping up the pace and having a great time. You’ve also probably seen dogs getting dragged along as they try to catch their breath while their owners pull their leashes, running too fast for their pup
(Photo Credit: Shutterstock) My Shih Tzu George was always a fidgety dog. He would often scratch at night, keeping us awake. I spoke to someone at my pet food store who suspected that George had food allergies. This clerk suspected that George had a food allergy and was allergic to chicken and grain and recommended that
November is National Pet Cancer Awareness Month. While the diagnosis of cancer can be very heartbreaking, we wanted to shed light on some happy stories that will hopefully show the sheer strength and will power dogs can have. While hearing the word cancer might seem scary, hopefully these stories will give you some faith. A
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) For humans, The 4th of July generally means celebrating our independence and having fun…or at least a barbeque and time off from work. However fireworks and make the Fourth of July the scariest night of the year for dogs. The sudden, deafening sounds (what’s loud to us is ear-piercing to them)
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) Overview The key to housetraining success is being able to predict when your puppy needs to go, getting her outside in time, and then rewarding her for doing the right thing in the right place. This gets her in the habit of pooping and peeing outdoors. To prevent mistakes, make sure
(Picture Credit: Getty Images) Some dog owners fear that urinary incontinence is a natural result of aging and delay taking their dog to the veterinarian. While many dogs do develop age-related problems, there are many other causes to consider too. Urinary incontinence is easily treated, and the medications are not expensive, so the sooner you
Editor’s note: Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? This article appeared in our holiday issue. Subscribe to Dogster and get the bimonthly magazine delivered to your home. Do you sometimes wish you could turn over hosting duties to your dog? Take this short
Wonder Woman is dominating the theaters, inspiring females around the world. And this inspiration is not species-specific. Gal Gadot’s performance as the iconic character is moving strong girls (like Viola Davis’ daughter) and super lady dogs alike. Social network savvy pups are posting their reactions to the blockbuster online too, and luckily many of these
The GOP congressional baseball team mass shooting on Wednesday morning was terrifying for the men involved, as well as the entire nation. For one Virginia-area dog who was playing at a nearby dog park, the event was also confusing and scary. According to the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, Daphne, a 50-lb. pointer mix, was playing
The things pets do to keep their owners entertained. Thanks to our new obsession with fidget spinners, animals across the country are getting to try the little gadgets for themselves. Some love them. Some hate them. And then there are those pets who really don’t care and just want to go back to playing a
Pet owners will do just about anything to keep their fur babies happy. Turns out, that can be a turn off to singles out there who aren’t pet parents. Woodstream recently surveyed 1,000 people about their pet peeves when it comes to pets and dating, and there are some clear furry deal breakers out there.
The Wizard of Oz jokes write themselves, but Duke the dog’s dangerous ordeal is no laughing matter. According to WREG News Channel 3, the 12-year-old senior Australian shepherd was picked up and carried 1,000 feet by a tornado that struck down in Davie County, North Carolina, three weeks ago. The twister threw the pup hard,
Tennessee Titans cornerback Logan Ryan occasionally takes a vacation from the National Football League, but he never takes a break from rescuing dogs, not even on his wedding day. During their recent destination wedding in St. Lucia, Ryan and his wife Ashley Bragg visited the town of Soufrière for photos. While in the town, the couple
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Working Height: 23–25.5 inches for females; 25–28 inches for males Weight: 150–200 pounds for both genders Life Expectancy: 10–12 years Boerboel dogs (a.k.a. South African mastiffs) are large, mastiff-type dogs and the most agile of their type. They are strong, balanced and imposing in appearance. Despite their size, they can move swiftly and powerfully. The
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Herding Height: 22 inches for females; 23.5 inches for males Weight: 57–71 pounds for females; 70–84 pounds for males Life Expectancy: Around 15 years The bergamasco is a fit, athletic, medium-sized sheepdog with a social personality, powerful build and unique coat, the colors of which include gray, silver and coal. 2. Where They Came From The breed’s
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Non-Sporting Height: 9–10 inches for females; 10–11 inches for males Weight: 12–15 pounds Life Expectancy: Around 15 years The Coton de Tulear is a small, long-coated dog known for being clownish and having a happy disposition. Coton means “cotton” in French and is used to describe the breed’s fluffy and long top coat.
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Working Height: 23–27.5 inches Weight: 80–100 pounds Life Expectancy: 8–15 years (the majority live 8–10 years due to the high rate of cancer affecting this breed) The Bernese mountain dog (a.k.a. Berners) is the only Swiss mountain dog to have a long coat. The large, strong dog has medium-sized ears in a triangular shape,
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Sporting Height: 23–27 inches Weight: 45–80 pounds Life Expectancy: 10–12 years The Gordon setter is the heaviest of the 3 setter breeds. Sturdy and muscular, this gun dog has great strength and stamina. The oval eyes are dark brown, and the long ears hang close to the head. The tail is feathered longer at
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Working Height: Males: 29 inches; females: 27 inches Weight: Males: 110–150 pounds; females: 80–120 pounds Life Expectancy: 11–15 years (depending on the dog’s working life) Anatolian shepherd dogs are large, rugged and powerful working dogs. They have a superior ability to defend livestock and strong protection instincts. The V-shaped ears are triangular and
1. Key Characteristics AKC Group: Sporting Height: 25–27 inches Weight: 60–70 pounds Life Expectancy: Around 15 years The Irish setter is an all-purpose hunting dog and family companion. The body is longer than it is tall, and the head features an either black or brown nose. The almond-shaped, medium-sized eyes can be various shades of brown. The tail